Tales of Taradale

Pa at Redcliffe

Pa at Redcliffe. The photograph shows young people seated on the ground outside the Pā. Palisades and whare are visible in the background. Query as to whether it might be Pā Whakairo Waiohiki as the Palisades look similar, unlike Redcliffe.

Otatara Pa Historic Reserve is situated on the Redcliffe hills on the left bank of the Tutaekuri river with access off Springfield Road and is adjacent to the Eastern Institute of Technology at Taradale, Napier, in Hawke's Bay.

Compared with other sites in New Zealand the site is remarkable for its size. The Otatara Pa complex covers about 40 hectares, not all of which are included in the Reserve, and consists of numerous pits and terraces with two pa, a lower one Otatara, and an upper one, Hikurangi .

Otatara and Hikurangi Pa are of considerable significance to the Ngati Kahungunu people. From here they spread out, under the mana of Taraia, to become the dominant iwi in Hawke's Bay and the Wairarapa. Everyone has whakapapa links with Otatara.

Otatara is of national significance - it is linked to people and places throughout New Zealand - from the Hokianga to Invercargill. It is a historic reserve, a registered wahi tapu and an archaeological site. The Reserve is mainly in pasture with scrub growing in the gullies although Otatara Pa proper, which has been almost totally quarried away, is covered with rank grass, noxious weeds and some scrub. The major threats are poor pasture management leading to erosion; animals particularly rabbits and cattle, and the impact of visitors.

 

Source:

  • Assessment of Heritage Significance: Otatara Pa Historic Reserve
  • MTG Hawke's Bay Collection

Image:

  • MTG Hawke's Bay Collection
Read more

Pa at Redcliffe. The photograph shows young people seated on the ground outside the Pā. Palisades and whare are visible in the background. Query as to whether it might be Pā Whakairo Waiohiki as the Palisades look similar, unlike Redcliffe.

Otatara Pa Historic Reserve is situated on the Redcliffe hills on the left bank of the Tutaekuri river with access off Springfield Road and is adjacent to the Eastern Institute of Technology at Taradale, Napier, in Hawke's Bay.

Compared with other sites in New Zealand the site is remarkable for its size. The Otatara Pa complex covers about 40 hectares, not all of which are included in the Reserve, and consists of numerous pits and terraces with two pa, a lower one Otatara, and an upper one, Hikurangi .

Otatara and Hikurangi Pa are of considerable significance to the Ngati Kahungunu people. From here they spread out, under the mana of Taraia, to become the dominant iwi in Hawke's Bay and the Wairarapa. Everyone has whakapapa links with Otatara.

Otatara is of national significance - it is linked to people and places throughout New Zealand - from the Hokianga to Invercargill. It is a historic reserve, a registered wahi tapu and an archaeological site. The Reserve is mainly in pasture with scrub growing in the gullies although Otatara Pa proper, which has been almost totally quarried away, is covered with rank grass, noxious weeds and some scrub. The major threats are poor pasture management leading to erosion; animals particularly rabbits and cattle, and the impact of visitors.

 

Source:

  • Assessment of Heritage Significance: Otatara Pa Historic Reserve
  • MTG Hawke's Bay Collection

Image:

  • MTG Hawke's Bay Collection
Read more

Horse coaches leaving Taradale. Horse coaches leaving the livery stables in Taradale. There are two coaches, each drawn by three horses. A sign on one of the buildings reads: Rymer's Stables established 1868.

Image from MTG Hawke's Bay Collection

Read more

Horse coaches leaving Taradale. Horse coaches leaving the livery stables in Taradale. There are two coaches, each drawn by three horses. A sign on one of the buildings reads: Rymer's Stables established 1868.

Image from MTG Hawke's Bay Collection

Read more

To celebrate the Hawke's Bay Centennial a Taradale committee was formed which decided that extensions to the Taradale Park would be a fitting memorial to the early settlers of Hawke's Bay. Land was purchased at the western end of the park. This had previously been an orchard. Two ornamental ponds, a pergola, foundation and rose garden were planned along with plantings of native trees.
Read more
To celebrate the Hawke's Bay Centennial a Taradale committee was formed which decided that extensions to the Taradale Park would be a fitting memorial to the early settlers of Hawke's Bay. Land was purchased at the western end of the park. This had previously been an orchard. Two ornamental ponds, a pergola, foundation and rose garden were planned along with plantings of native trees.
Read more

Taradale Town Hall, at the corner of Lee and Meeanee Roads, taken after the Hawke's Bay earthquake on the 3rd of February 1931. Photographer, John Brown.
Read more
Taradale Town Hall, at the corner of Lee and Meeanee Roads, taken after the Hawke's Bay earthquake on the 3rd of February 1931. Photographer, John Brown.
Read more

First Mission Concert

First Mission Concert. Dame Kiri Triumphs. Listeners Captivated. Getting the best spot to see Kiri Te Kanawa at the Mission meant getting there early. By the time the gates opened at 2pm, this queue of hundreds had formed, snaking off down Church Road back toward Taradale.

Image from MTG Hawke's Bay Collection

Read more

First Mission Concert. Dame Kiri Triumphs. Listeners Captivated. Getting the best spot to see Kiri Te Kanawa at the Mission meant getting there early. By the time the gates opened at 2pm, this queue of hundreds had formed, snaking off down Church Road back toward Taradale.

Image from MTG Hawke's Bay Collection

Read more